Sunday, December 10, 2006

Busy week ahead

This week coming up is so busy, I can't believe it. The two middle school kids have Christmas concerts - one Monday night, and one Tuesday night. I can't decide which is worse: a single 3.5-hour torturous concert where every group in every grade performs on the same night, or a week-long marathon of 2-hour concerts. Hmmm. I guess that depends on whether I have my knitting with me or not.

So, this week we'll have swordfish on Monday. It's not a big deal to prepare, and I'll cook some brown rice to go with, so there's something for anyone who hates fish. They can put leftover chili verde on the rice. Maybe some cooked carrots. I can do those ahead. Then off to concert number one


Tuesday - Rogan Josh. I love this Indian dish. It's traditionally made with lamb, but equally good with beef, and I have two smallish roasts in the freezer that ought to be used. Tuesday will be tough because the shop's open late, and there's concert number two. Serve with Basmati rice - love that stuff, and plain yogurt. Maybe some fruit too. I'd love to try this recipe for Naan if there's enough time.

Wednesday - Busy busy day. Special shopping night at the shop, plus I have to work from 2-5. Something fun - made ahead? Hmmm. I have Schwan's frozen breaded chicken in the freezer. I'll do a homemade Wendy's chicken sandwich. I'll sneak in some lettuce and tomato. Maybe some coleslaw too. My favorite is Marzetti's bottled coleslaw dressing and the packaged coleslaw shreds. So much better than the deli variety, and it doesn't get any easier than that.

Thursday - I'm going to try to make this soup that's a winter version of a salsa I make in the summer. Black beans, corn, mexican tomatoes, cilantro, and lime. I'll cook some chicken breast and cut it up in there too. Top with a little sour cream and serve it with chips or flour tortillas. Gonna have to make it ahead too. It would probably go nicely in the crock pot. Then off to dance class.

Friday - birthday party for daughter. Requested paninis. Panini sandwiches for 15. Anyone know a good way to keep the first ones crisp while I cook the rest?? And instead of cake, she's requested a triple chocolate semifreddo. At least I can make it ahead...

Giant has boneless chicken breast and butter on sale this week, so I'll stock up on those. I already have the chocolate for the semifreddo, but I'll need the turkey and ham for the paninis . Last week IQF swordfish and tuna and jumbo shrimp were on sale. I just love Giant.