Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Christmas Baking

The Post Food Section got me inspired today - that's the plan, of course - so we'll be baking and making candy for Christmas this Sunday. I love plain sugar cookies cut in all sorts of holiday shapes, and gingerbread men. The kids are going to want to decorate a gingerbread house, but I'm not sure that's on the agenda this year. Perhaps rolling and decorating the cookies will be enough.

My favorite sugar cookie recipe comes from Martha Stewart. I know, I know, she's cliched, and phony, and so 1990s, but you can't argue with this recipe. It's delicious, easy to work with, and it stays fresh and yumy for a week or more.

4 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
2 sticks unsalted butter (I always use regular butter)
2 cups sugar
2 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla

Sift together flour, salt and baking powder. Cream together sugar and butter until fluffy. Beat in eggs. [I add to vanilla here too] Slowly blend in flour mixture. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and chill for 30 minutes or more. I like to form the dough into several smaller flat rectangles and chill separately. You can only work so much of the dough at a time, and it's better not to rework it several times.

On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/8 inch thick. Cut into shapes and transfer to an ungreased baking sheet. Refrigerate for 15 minutes. While the cookies are chilling, preheat oven to 325. Bake cookies for 8-10 minutes or until edges just begin to brown.

Cool on wire racks.

No comments: